What is the Director Credential?
Administering an early childhood or school-age program is a complex job that requires an understanding of child development, program administration, personnel supervision, leadership and job-related experience. The Pennsylvania Director Credential is designed as a standard to measure and validate the abilities and competencies of directors and administrators to manage high quality early childhood and school-age programs. Additionally, it represents the level of personal and professional accomplishments of directors and administrators, their professional contributions through demonstrated leadership, and active engagement in professional endeavors beyond the scope of the daily operation of a program.
Director Credential Pathways
There are 4 different pathways to obtain the Director Credential: Initial, Renewal, Alternative Pathway, and Portfolio.
Applying for the Director Credential
Applying for the Director Credential occurs through the PD Registry at www.papdregistry.org.
Please reference the Director Credential Application Requirement document when completing the application to ensure you have all the required pieces.
Processing of Director Credential applications
- Processing of applications can take between 60 – 90 days.
- Before submitting the application, ensure all required documentation has been uploaded so that a delay doesn’t occur.
Director Credential Portfolio Application and Documents
If applying for the Portfolio Pathway, submit all required documentation to the address in the application.
- Director Credential Portfolio Application (PDF)
- Director Credential Portfolio Policies and Procedures (PDF)
- Director Credential Portfolio Scoring Rubric (PDF)
Director Credential Additional Resources
- Coming soon: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (PDF)
Institutes of Higher Education (IHEs) That Offer Director Credential Coursework
The below list of Institutes of Higher Education (IHEs) have partnered with Pennsylvania’s Rising Stars Tuition Assistance (RSTA) program to provide Director Credential coursework in the last 18 months:
- Arcadia University
- Carlow University
- Chestnut Hill College
- Clarion University of Pennsylvania
- Community College of Allegheny County
- Delaware County Community College
- Eastern University
- Edinboro University
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Keystone College
- King’s College
- Lackawanna College
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Northampton Community College
- Pennsylvania Highlands Community College
- Penn State University- York Campus
- Shippensburg University
- West Chester University
- Westmoreland County Community College
For more information, contact the Institution of Higher Education (IHE) offering the program that best suits your needs.