We’re celebrating the accomplishments of Family Provider: Kris LeBeau, owner of The Art of Play Early Learning Academy in Cumberland County.
This has been an extremely busy year for Kris. In addition to moving to STAR 4 and providing quality care to the children and community she serves:
For the past six years, Kris has been enrolled in Liberty University. She earned her BS Degree and in two weeks, she will graduate with her Masters’ Degree in Early Childhood Education.
In January 2018 she earned her CDA. Although she was already a CDA Assessor (because she had her Bachelor’s Degree), she decided to earn her CDA because it would count for the 90 hours of classwork needed for NAFCC (National Association of Family Child Care) Accreditation.
If she didn’t have her CDA, NAFCC would only count 45 of her credit hours from her degree program.
Mentoring – This was the second year that Kris has been a mentor. She was willing to travel to different counties to work with mentees and has helped several providers move up a STAR level. In fact, one of her mentees was a STAR 1 in October when they were matched, and recently became a STAR 4. Kris feels this program is great – especially for family providers as it helps them to really build connections.
Car Seat Technician – She is certified in this program because transporting children as a family childcare provider is a huge liability. Certification required 40 hours of training and renewal via more on line training. She has been a technician for three years.
Networking – Over the past few years, Kris has started several networking groups:
- Childcare Providers in PA – has over 300 people involved. It helps new providers who are seeking help with DHS regulations and just general discussions
- FCCERS Support – This includes providers from across the country and focuses on FCCERS and discussions about how to meet certain requirements.
- BAS – Business Administration Scale – This group is just starting and will focus on this
- Family Provider Assessment Tool
- Director’s Credential – Kris will finish this credential in two weeks
- Nature Explorer Certification – In June, Kris is attending training in New York for earn this certification. This is to take advantage of the natural areas behind her house and having her students explore and learn more about nature
As of May 1, 2018, her site is accredited by NAFCC (she received the news last week!)
Now it is time for a break!