Degrees & Credential Programs
Early Childhood executive leadership institute
Opportunity for leaders of programs serving children birth through age 8 to learn together as part of a powerful professional development experience: NISL's Early Childhood Executive Leadership Institute bridges the gaps between early learning programs and K-12 schools.
For more information, please contact:
- Higher Education: Position is vacant
- Director Credential and PQAS: Kris Madden, Credential and Certification Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-213-2072.
Please note the new address for the PA Key. Effective April 1, 2012, please mail all Director Credential applications to: Pennsylvania Key, 200 North 3rd Street, 3rd Flr, Harrisburg, PA 17101.
Forms & Documents:
Institutions of Higher Education wanting more information on applying for approval of your Director Credential program of study, view the Higher Education page.
More detailed information about the School-Age Professional Credential can be found in the School-Age section.
Child Development Associate (CDA)
Visit the Council for Professional Recognition’s Web site for more information.
Child Development Associate (CDA) Renewal
All CDA Renewal Candidates must meet the following five criteria:
- Documented proof of a current Red Cross or other nationally recognized agency First Aid and Infant/Child (Pediatric) CPR certification - the certification must include (1) treatment for blocked airway and (2) provide rescue breathing for infants and young children. Note: Training is not accepted from independent consultants and/or online training.
- Documented proof of one of the following types of training in early childhood education/child development, principles of adult learning, mental health counseling, etc.:
- 4.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- a three-credit-hour course
- or 45 clock hours
These hours must be in addition to the original 120 clock hours required when the Candidate obtained the CDA Credential. Bilingual CDAs must meet this requirement with coursework incorporating bilingual education.
- Documented proof of recent (within one year) prior to your renewal, you must have worked a minimum of 80 hours with young children or families. This must be documented in a letter from your supervisor. (Note: The letter from your supervisor should specify, “works with children”.)
- A completed Letter of Recommendation Form regarding the CDA's competence with young children prepared by an early childhood education (ECE) Reviewer. The ECE Reviewer must meet the eligibility requirements.
- Documented proof current membership with a national or local early childhood professional organization. Your membership must be active/current at the time the Council receives your renewal information. This must be an individual membership, not an agency membership.. For a list of National Early Childhood Organizations please visit the Council for Professional Recognition website.
Apply online for a CDA Renewal, or contact the Council for further information:
Council for Professional Recognition
2460 16th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009-3547
Office hours: 8am - 5pm EST