CBK and PDR
The Core Body of Knowledge (CBK) and Professional Development Record (PDR) work together to assist Pennsylvania’s early childhood and school-age practitioners in identifying and tracking their professional development. Learn more about the CBK and PDR by attending a CBK/PDR workshop in person (search the Professional Development Calendar for upcoming workshops in your area), or participating in a free online session.
Additions and Changes to 2002 Professional Development Record
For Use by Practitioners Already Using the PDR
The Pennsylvania Core Body of Knowledge (CBK) was revised in June of 2006 to be more inclusive of practitioners working in all early learning and school-age settings. The primary revisions in the CBK include updated knowledge base descriptions and additional competencies in regard to learning standards and inclusive practices. In order for the CBK and PDR to be in alignment, there are minor additions and changes to the 2002 PDR. For staff already using the 2002 PDR, a document has been created containing pages to add to the 2002 version. This version also contains forms for documenting required Keystone STARS professional development.
Core Body of Knowledge
The Pennsylvania Core Body of Knowledge (CBK) for early childhood and school-age practitioners outlines what they need to know and do when caring for and educating young children.
Download the Core Body of Knowledge document.
Early care professionals need to know:
- how children grow and develop;
- how children can be safe, feel secure, and remain healthy;
- how children’s families support their lives;
- how and why children’s development is assessed; and
- how to value and support the diversity of the children, their families, and the staff.
Early care professionals need to be able to:
create a safe, attractive, and interesting environment for children;
- plan activities and experiences that are appropriate for the children’s ages and capabilities;
- stimulate children’s physical, social, intellectual, and emotional development; and
- interact with children in ways that guide them toward an understanding of self and others and toward increased self-control.
Professional Development Record
The Professional Development Record (PDR) helps practitioners reflect on this Core Body of Knowledge to plan professional growth. Early childhood and school-age professionals can use the PDR to list employment history, track education and training as it corresponds to the CBK, and prepare annual professional development plans that meet their educational needs.
Download the Professional Development Record document.
CBK/PDR Online Course
To take the CBK/PDR online course, please log in to the Intranet Zone. After logging in, choose PQAS.